Friday, April 25, 2008

Desperate

Is one word for it. Dan and I have been trying to think of non costing ways to bribe the children into behaving once in a while. They seem to be getting out of hand and we were on the verge of losing control. Cade came up with this idea and so far so good, keep in mind it's only day 2 but hey I'll take 2 days of pretty good behavior.

This is how is works:

In the morning we all get a clean sheet of white paper. We write our names on it and decorate however our creative mind so desires, today we did glue glitter names and they turned out pretty cool. We then draw a line down the center.
One side is for circles.
Circles = good behavior
The other is for triangles
Triangles = bad behavior

(keep in mind this was all Cade's idea)

Yesterday Cade and Chloe did everything I asked of them with merely a circle bribe. Zero triangles were earned. They cleaned their rooms, set the table, helped with Chance. It was a miracle. Hardly any fighting. Anytime a war was beginning all I had to do was threaten a triangle and it suddenly ended. It was AWESOME. They have never shared with each other so well.

Today is not quite as heavenly. I already have a triangle and so does Cade. It was Cade's fault I earned my triangle though.

One funny quote from Chloe today that I want to share that coordinates with this circle triangle idea. They had made a huge mess while I was finishing an order so I put them to work cleaning it up. It took a while and they pretty much have to be ordered one thing at a time (especially Cade). They were really getting frustrated because it was so many things to clean up. Anyway Chloe goes into her room and comes out and has huge tears coming down her cheeks. She says in the saddest voice. "I really want to say something but I don't want to get a triangle for saying it." I promise her she won't get a triangle to go ahead and get it off her chest. A huge tear rolls down her cheek and she says, "Mom I just feel like I'm your slave." I almost laughed but kept it to a smile and then I assured her that in order for her to be my slave she would have to be picking up MY stuff. Since she was picking up her own stuff she wouldn't qualify as my slave.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Cute Idea! I love the story about Chloe....Jarom tells me that same thing. Every time you make us do chorse I feel like your slave! Where do they come up with these things! Good luck.

tara said...

that seriously made me laugh out loud :) i almost spit out my peanut butter toast.

Jen Gentry said...

I am looking for some great idea that will work with Justin so maybe I will have to give this a try. I just was wondering is there a reward for so many circles or a punishment for triangles or is this all just for fun??

Bingham Family said...

It must be that time of year for kids. I am to the point where I will try anything. You gotta love being a stay at home mom. sometimes I think it would be nice to have a break from the kids, cleaning and cooking...but then I realize this is where I want to be no matter how the day goes. I love this blog thing, I'm glad we can keep in touch.

Katie B Thurgood said...

LOL! Kellie.. our kids are SO related! Hunter wanted a toy dragon or something and I told him that in order for him to get it, he would have to sell some of his other toys to pay for it. He went upstairs went through his toys and came down with a big bag and said is this enough? I had to go through it and pull out a bunch of Braxton's things but tonight we are going to Once Upon A Child to trade his toys for money to buy a new one. As a payment for getting so many circles you could reward them with another story before bed or a trip to the park or something instead of money.. oh and check my blog for our recent drama :)