Wednesday, February 13, 2008

About my Book Shelf and a surprise

So any of you who know me know that I'm the biggest book saleswoman. I can't just read a book and enjoy it myself, no, I have to tell everyone. Before I'm even finished I've told everyone that they can borrow my copy because they just have to read it. Where do I find time you ask? Well, for one I just completely neglect my children whilst reading a good book. I also leave it out on the couch so anytime I sit down to nurse I can gobble a few bits and pieces. I take it with me while I sit and wait at carpool (I also do my make up in the carpool waiting line, it is one of my best ideas lately. I start the carpool lane looking anything but attractive (I'm sure Dan would disagree) and by the time the kids are buckled, Bam, I'm a completely transformed woman. I still have my jammies on but from the neck up, all I can really say is wow. I mean, it's true I can't really see my whole face at once because the mirror is a bit small but it has to be an improvement. Right? Anyway, try it out. Let me know what you think. )
So I just re-read my post and am baffled at how sidetracked I have become. Now I'm really worried that my makeup in the carpool lane idea is not going to get proper attention since no one really wants to read about someone else's book shelf but alas I will give a few short comments about each selection.

Proper Care: Good ideas about being a decent person to your hubby, I'm sure Dan will testify that I really didn't need this kick in the bottom but I think any woman would benefit from reading it.
Harvester: Amazing love story. A bit slow in the beginning for me, only because I don't get into botany and the author really loves all the details of it. The end though is totally worth it. Both my mom and I want our husbands to read it.
The Secret: So didn't want to read this fad book but it really was so interesting and has a lot of valid points. I can totally feel the universe coming to solve all my problems.
Tipping Point: Dan always calls this book the Matching Point because it has a picture of matches on the front. That has nothing to do with the book but I felt like writing it anyway. So I bought this for Dan for Christmas and it just sat (ok he read a few chapters) and then I decided to give it a whirl even though it isn't really something I'm naturally drawn to but wow. I really LOVED it. Gladwell is an amazing author describing such complex issues in a concise and clear way. The issues themselves were so interesting and surrounded by actual life stories. This is a must read. I really was sad when I finished.
Twilight and others: I knew I would be hooked because everyone warned me and it is true. I don't recall ever reading books so fast. I could have finished all three in three days. But I wanted them to last longer so I drug it out a bit and took a week. Can't wait for more.
Poisonwood: Kingsolver has an amazing knack for change of voice for her characters. They have such depth. I think it should have ended at the end of their mission but still-- a great read.
Ender's: A fav from the college days. I loved it for the mind games and stratagem.

Ok so tell me about your favs. I love a good referral.

4 comments:

Anne said...

I'll definitely check out Tipping Point and Harvester. Do they have any inappropriate stuff that I should be aware of? I never did read Twilight, though many friend suggested that I do. I have a post about it on my blog if your interested as to why. I see that your reading The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. I really liked that book! It was all stuff that I'd already figured out, but it was a good reminder.

I liked The Children of the Promise Series. I didn't read the follow up one, because I heard it was too slow. I don't normally like LDS fiction, but this one surprised me.

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters is one that I recommend to everyone that has girls! It is a MUST read for both parents!

Dan would probably like Flags of Our Fathers. I didn't think I would like it, but I wanted to learn more about WWII and I couldn't put it down!

Some others I've liked this year were:

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
The Stolen Child
Cold Sassy Tree
Forever Lily


My friends liked:
Angle of Repose (I don't like anything about affairs, and so I wasn't thrilled with this one!)

I have read so much more this year, but I can't remember everything off the top of my head! I'll send you more if I think of them!

I have a reading list for this year on my blog:

http://islandschoolhouse.com/?page_id=839

Many of recommendations from friends, some are classics that I want to read again, and many are books from my LDS Mom's Education group. (A book club of sorts!)

I have protected pages and if Kate will send me your email address I'll give you the password!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
L said...

Hey Kellie! I am so glad you told us about your blog. I love blogging, it is so fun to keep in touch and find old friends. Your family is so stinkin cute. Chloe cracks me up! What a doll. Visit our family any time:
lichelleandtrent.blogspot.com
How is your hubby liking his new job (I guess not so new any more). Do you guys like where you are? Take care!

Kati said...

I enjoyed one of Malcom Gladwell's books called "Blink: the Power of Thinking Without Thinking". I bet you'd enjoy that one if you already like Gladwell.